Engagement Rings: Popular Engagement Ring Trends for 2013
If you’re planning to propose to your girlfriend then you’ll probably want to know the engagement ring styles that are popular right now – especially if your loved one is very conscious of fashion and the latest ring trends.
So, if you are unsure which style of ring to buy for your girlfriend – or are a couple looking for stylish and affordable matching rings – here are the most popular trends for buying engagement rings for women.
Popular Engagement Ring Trends for 2013
- Diamond Ring Settings – Crown and Coronet: The single diamond solitaire has always been a popular choice, but right now the emphasis is on setting the diamond high up in a crown or coronet style setting. This creates a really pretty effect, whilst also enhancing the impact and sparkle of the gemstone.
- Geometric Shape Engagement Rings: Geometric shapes have been increasing in popularity for some time – and even more so in the past year. Square cut gemstones like the well known Princess Cut Diamond plus the Asscher, Radiant and Cushion Cuts have become increasingly popular for their ability to add sparkle and the wow factor to just about any ring. Increasing demand is also being seen for Emerald Cut engagement rings – a style very reminiscent of Art Deco engagement rings.
- The Halo Diamond Engagement Ring: It is easy to see why this stunningly beautiful ring style continues to be an ongoing trend. The Halo comprises a center diamond surrounded by one or more circles (or halo) of smaller diamonds that create the illusion of the main gemstone looking bigger than it is. Where the diamonds are of good quality and have been cut and set well, then light should reflect off them to create maximum impact and sparkle.
- Antique and Vintage Style Engagement Rings: This is a trend that seems to going from strength to strength with each year. Whether it’s an authentic antique or an “vintage style”, there’s a huge range of designs to choose from. If your girl is very feminine and romantic then she may like the pretty settings of the Victorian period, or if she’s a diamond girl, then perhaps the stunning sparkle of an Edwardian ring. However, if she’s the dramatic type who loves to make an entrance then an Art Deco engagement ring may be the ideal one to wow all her friends.
- Flower Engagement Ring: As the trend moves towards more decorative and interesting ring designs, the Flower Engagement Ring in diamonds and beautiful gemstone colors is being seen more and more. Choose from pretty designs, reminiscent of the Victorian era or floral styles in modern bezel settings.
- Colored Diamond Engagement Rings: Color is definitely back, not just with gemstones but for diamonds as well. With a wealth of different colors to choose from you will be spoilt for choice: Black diamond engagement rings make a dramatic and sophisticated statement and wearing one of the yellow diamond engagement rings will help to bring a sparkle of sunshine to you every day. Just as popular are Blue diamond engagement rings and Chocolate diamond rings can also be found. Colored diamonds are a delightful new trend for a classy and colourful engagement ring.
- Rose Gold Engagement Rings: If you can’t decide between white or yellow gold, then how about a ring in Rose Gold? This beautiful metal is created by mixing copper with yellow gold to create a pretty pink appearance. The more copper that is blended in with the gold, the pinker it becomes. A Rose Gold Engagement Ring with stunning white diamonds make a very pretty contrast and are an emerging trend for the girl who wants a ring that’s beautiful and just a little bit different.
- Split Shank Engagement Rings: Some of the latest trends have a split shank where the band separates into two strands towards the centre gemstone setting. These metal strands are often enhanced with diamonds or other gemstones in a pave setting. A split shank ring helps draw the eye to the centre stone or setting and with a pave enhancement creates a beautiful sparkling engagement ring.
- Twisted and Filigree Engagement Rings: Metal work is becoming far more interesting with decorative twists and loops featuring in the latest ring designs. Engagement ring designers are creating dramatic effects using metal to form elegant modern swirls holding a single gemstone or weaving complex patterns encompassing part or the whole of the shank – with the twists or loops often becoming part of the centre setting itself. Twisted metal designs in the form of the infinity symbol are a current trend and ideal for couples looking for styles that symbolize their everlasting love.
- Unique Engagement Ring Settings: Whilst the single solitaire diamond “Tiffany” style ring is a classic that many girls still prefer, there are many others looking for more modern engagement rings. Fortunately, there is a wealth of designs emerging that can fit the bill – from contemporary engagement rings with simple bezel settings to streamlined bands in alternative metals such as Palladium and Rose Gold. You no longer have to do the traditional classic thing.
- Big Engagement Rings: There has been a growing trend towards rings with large gemstones due to the influence of celebrity engagement rings and a desire for eye catching jewelry at an affordable price. An increasing number of couples are now choosing an engagement ring with a large colored gemstone and diamond accents, rather than a small diamond ring for the same price. Popular gemstones include aquamarine, amethyst, citrine, garnet, topaz and tanzanite as well as the generally more expensive emerald, ruby and blue, pink and white sapphire. With the availability of gemstones from top of the range natural to heat treated and lab created gems at lower prices, you can now select the size of engagement ring you desire at a price you can afford.
- Princess Diana/Kate Middleton Engagement Ring: First seen at the engagement between Prince Charles and Lady Diana in 1981, this beautiful deep blue sapphire and diamond ring generated a huge trend for look-a-like-copies. More recently with the engagement and subsequent marriage of Prince William to Kate Middleton, the demand for engagement rings in the same iconic style, is very much back on trend.